Saturday, July 07, 2012

Summertime....

 and things are blooming and growing all around me. Despite the slightly weird weather patterns, WI is still green and growing. It sounds like we may be among the "lucky" ones. So much destructive weather and fires all across our great nation. We have these lovely lilies blooming right next to our raspberry bushes..lots of yum-yum! The garden is doing well and we have been eating broccoli, spinach and chard.
This red, white and blue(mostly)orphan block quilt is the one I have been working on(since June). I'm closer to done than this picture indicates but I didn't stop to take a new picture. In limiting my orphans to the r,w,& b color scheme, I limited what I had to work with..it's taken longer than usual.
This is my effort of the past week(plus). It's been done over the course of a year(or so) and is has less harmony than I usually strive for. It is a "separate-ness" or blocky feeling. One way to avoid that is to have ALL the blocks you are going to use and work with a design wall. Mostly I strive to "build" a row or a section of the same height. This one is currently 52" X 72". It looks like it needs a border to me, but it's not going to get one because my roll of batting is 54" wide...and that's that!
The work of many of my blogging friends are in this one, some of my orphans, and the big cheddar H.A. was donated by friend Betsy. After reading the WI quilts book, she made a whole H.A. quilt....her youngest daughter loved it!

5 comments:

julieQ said...

Hey, so glad to hear from you...I see a couple blocks from me in your orphan quilt! Love those quilts so much!!

scraphappy said...

Your garden looks all neat and tidy. Glad that your quilts are growing row by row as well.

Cathi said...

Happy to see you posting again. Missed you. Seems like you've been quilting up a storm.

Stephanie D said...

Ah, I'm jealous of your garden! We had 3 weeks of no rain and temps in the mid-upper 90s and my flower and veggie gardens were suffering--my water bill was twice the usual amount. Thank goodness we've finally had some rain and cooler temps the last couple of days.

This is my first ever successful garden, but I've not attempted greens yet, and I've never tasted chard. I'd love to try spinach later on.

Is that a rain barrell I see behind the garden?

Tonya Ricucci said...

the orphan quilt is going great - love the bits of cheddar in there and especially the HA!